Wednesday, August 17, 2016

French Leek Tart


Ingredients
  1. Pastry
  2. 2 cups of flour
  3. 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp of cold pats of butter
  4. 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice and
  5. 2-3 tbsp (or more) of ice water
The Filling
  1. 2 slices of bacon
  2. 5 leeks, thinly slice and thoroughly cleaned
  3. 1/3 cup of flour
  4. 3/4 cup of skim milk
  5. 1/4 cup of light cream
  6. 2 lightly beaten eggs
  7. 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
  8. Egg for an egg wash
The Pastry
  1. Place 2 cups of flour in a food processor.
  2. Add 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp of cold pats of butter. Process until crumbly.
  3. Add 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice and 2-3 tbsp of ice water. As usual, I had to add more water before my dough would come together.
  4. Process until it just barely comes together. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
The Filling
  1. I used 2 slices of turkey bacon but feel free to use real bacon! I thinly sliced mine.
  2. Thinly slice 5 leeks that have been thoroughly cleaned.
  3. Cook bacon until crisp. I had to add some canola oil to mine since turkey bacon is so lean. Add leeks and cook for 5 minutes. Again, because it was so dry I added a couple of pats of butter. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Add 1/3 cup of flour. Cook for a minute.
  5. Then I added 3/4 cup of skim milk plus 1/4 cup of light cream.
  6. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cool slightly.
  7. As I was letting that cool I got out the dough. I cut off approximately 1/3.
  8. I rolled out the 2/3 of the pastry to fit in the bottom and up the sides of a 9" quiche dish. I placed the pastry in the dish.
  9. To the leeks mixture stir in 2 lightly beaten eggs, 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and some more freshly ground black pepper.
  10. Add filling to pastry.
  11. Roll out the other 1/3 of pastry dough. Cover the filling and fold over the edges of the pastry dough on the bottom. Pinch together. Brush the top with an egg wash.
  12. Deeply slice slits on the top and bake in a preheated 400F oven for 30-40 minutes.
  13. You want the pastry fro be nice and golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment